BUILDING A DRAGON DRUM PG 4

PAGE 1

PREVIOUS PAGE

    I decided to add a stabilizing ring at the top of the drum.  I used a white pine 2X4, and removed 1/8th inch at a time.  It took several tries to get it right.    I had to start cutting the pieces at a taper to fit the taper of the drum.  The last ring was flat, no taper.  You can see I used some of the barrel scraps to help hold the ring pieces tight against the drum.  After the glue set it seemed pretty solid.

    I decided to paint the inside of the drum with urethane to seal it.  The color was so rich I wanted to cover the whole drum.  The Outside of the drum looked like a used barrel.  I decided to use body putty as a filler.  It took a tremendous amount of sanding to smooth the outside.  Once I got it smooth enough to satisfy me I decided to paint it.

                                    NEXT PAGE

webmaster siulum6@cox.net                                                                     updated 1/14/10